In today’s time, video is everything. When it comes to marketing, video marketing is probably one of the most used methods. In such a time when videos are in demand, wanting to become a video editor can be an excellent decision.
Video editors are the professionals who are responsible for editing the raw footage and creating an excellent finished product that can attract an audience. If you have a creative eye and want to use it in a better way, you can choose to start a career as a video editor.
This career in video editing can be very rewarding, both financially and creatively. However, if this is the first time you have decided to take such a step and start a career as a video editor, this guide can be beneficial. In this article, you will find a comprehensive guide to becoming a video editor.
However, if you want to achieve success as a video editor, you need to be dedicated and hard-working. Since success does not come easy, and in such a challenging field, you need to be creative and explore and be dedicated to your work.
Who is a video editor?
A video editor is someone who takes care of the entire video. It requires immense video editing skills and knowledge. The person requires selecting the best raw footage for video editing, editing mistakes, no movement, poor camera angles, and a lot more. He also needs to take care of the sound effects and scene mode. If it requires background music, it is entirely up to the video editor, who has to edit it.
What does a video editor do?
A video editor is a professional who requires paying attention to create a mesmerizing video. You need to construct a narrative using sound and video materials. Being a video editor, you need to work with creative team members to give life to a project. Apart from this, it also requires technical skills for good storytelling.
Being a video editor, you can work for a media, studio, and agency and network as a YouTube celebrity or as a freelancer. If you choose to do Freelancing, it requires intensive labor and provides follow-up on the working details. You have to compete for the following project with several other editors.
In general, a video editor is expected to produce at least two videos of 10 minutes every day. However, the number of work that you need to do in a day depends on the number of projects that you have taken on or the office you’re working for.
There are chances that the video editor might require collaborating with graphic designers, producers, visual effects artists, directors, assistant editors, the post-shoot team, and the composer. You have to spend a good time with the client to understand their video requirements.
How to become a video editor?
Becoming a video editor is definitely not easy. Since the market is extremely competitive, not only do you need to have the proper skills but also there is a need to show them. Having a certificate that talks about your skills and ability can be a great choice and improves your chances of getting more work.
Education and training requirements:
If you want to enjoy a future in video editing, you must take proper training and get yourself educated about video editing. As it takes a lot of video editing skills, you must take proper training and education so that it becomes easier for you to overcome any challenge.
Following are some details that you will find helpful if you are willing to enjoy a great video editing career.
- Education in filmmaking: Most video editors learn independently, while others pursue bachelor’s degrees or associates in a film production unit. Taking part in video production workshops will educate you about how to use video production software and tools properly.
- Efficiency in using video editing software: Video editors are professionals who have the efficacy to work in a professional environment. Therefore, it is a need for you to work comfortably with industry-standard software and make use of editing tools seamlessly.
- Work in a professional organization: When someone has prior experience working in an organization, it is a verification of their expertise and skills.
- Prior experience: There are many employers who only look for applicants that have previous experience as an editor, production, assistant, assistant editor, or injured. Experience is a demonstration of their professional knowledge and ability to work under pressure.
Your skills are of the utmost benefit when it comes to improving your video editing result. You have to improve your skills so that you can overcome the challenges and provide top-notch results.
- Flexibility: Being a video editor, you have to be very flexible and adaptable to the changing environment. Since businesses are about changes, you have to be ready to meet unforeseen concerns and provide accurate solutions.
- Attention to detail: if you want to provide and deliver high-quality results, you must focus on every detail. So all the elements that you’re using for editing videos must be thoroughly checked and made sure that it is having a value in the video.
- Discipline: Irrespective of the profession you are into, self-discipline is considered one of the vital components. Besides, when it is to video editing skills, you have to make sure of tracking yourself. When you have your self-discipline principles, it will help you to unleash your potential without any obligations.
- Interpersonal communication: You must have the ability to communicate and pass your message to others. Whether you are an individual, freelancer, or you’re working with a team, interpersonal communication is mandatory in video editing as you have to collaborate with a range of experts like directors, graphic designers, sound editors, music producers, and a lot more experts.
- Organizing skills: As you are into video editing, you have to combine a range of shots into a proper piece. So, organizational skill is very important for the best outcome. You have to make sure that you can handle several projects and provide results within the provided deadline.
- Time management: As mentioned that you have to handle different projects at the same time, and you need to have time management skills. This will help you to complete different projects within the given time frame.
Career Fields in Video Editing
Before you choose to work as a video editor, you certainly like to know the many job categories available in this field. It is always a great choice to make an informed decision. So, here we will find out the career scope in the video editing field.
- Freelance video editor: Rather than working for any organization, you can work as an independent professional. You can produce independent films, wedding videos, and business advertisements as a freelancer. This will help you to have an independent lifestyle and choose projects according to your wish.
- Movie video editor: It is common that video editors will mostly work in movies. So you can also work with a production unit that produces short films, movies, or low-budget pictures. This way, you can work closely with several other professionals like sound, editors, cinematographers, and directors. In this job role, you have to handle different aspects of video editing, which includes color, correction, sound design, and a lot more.
- Video editor for an ad agency: If you want to choose a different field and not go into the movies, you can choose to work as a video editor in an ad agency. Here you will be required to create short commercials, branding videos, interviews, and YouTube shorts. It will require you to be very fast and meet the changing demands of the viewers.
- Assistant video editor: The Assistant video editor is the first position of someone who would like to become a video editor in the future. In this job role, you might be provided with the responsibility of digitizing footage and performing several other duties like building graphic effects, transcribing, interviews, and preparing editing workspace.
- Post-production manager: The post-production manager is again a major role that takes part in the editorial team. This person has to make sure to meet deadlines and ensure the project remains within the budget. The manager has to check the production and make various decisions.
While these are to name a few, there are several other job roles that you can get if you have experience in video editing. These include:
- Television studio editor
- Network video editor
- YouTube video editor
- Postproduction video editor
- Marketing video editor
- Broadcast engineering technician
Video Editor Salary
Before you take any step ahead, you would undoubtedly want to know about the remuneration provided to these individuals. However, you must know that the salary will vary from one location to another. So here we will talk about the average video editor salaries in some of the most popular cities in India.
- Bengaluru – Rs.37,411 per month
- Mumbai – Rs.21,574 per month
- Gurgaon – Rs.21,192 per month
- Hyderabad – Rs.20,186 per month
- Noida – Rs.19,817 per month
- Chennai – Rs.17,670 per month
- New Delhi – Rs.19,217 per month
- Pune – Rs.17,663 per month
Video Editor’s working hours
The working hours of a video editor will depend on your choice. If you’re working in an organization, you might be required to work for more than 50 hours a week. However, it might change depending on the organization you have chosen. Some overtime and long shifts are pretty common in this highly demanding job role.
However, if you’re working as a freelance video editor, you have the freedom to choose your working hours. But, it is better to keep a fair expectation that you need to work for at least 50 hours a week to draw a good salary.
Where to find the video editing job?
In the modern days, it has become very easy to find jobs in different job roles. Now you can find several online websites where the opportunities are listed. All you need is to create your CV and put it online so that potential recruiters will be able to contact you.
You can choose
However, if you’re looking forward to getting individual projects, you can choose Upwork. This is a great website where you can get relevant and legit work and clients from different parts of the world.
Tips for getting a job as a video editor
There are a few things that you must do to put your best foot forward while applying for the job role of a video editor.
- As mentioned earlier, the first thing is to look for the top employment website. Make sure that you choose industry-specific categories, as they will provide suitable and relevant job opportunities.
- Look for industry forums and groups. This way, you will be able to find training seminars, job openings, networking events, and other role-specific jobs.
- Look for opportunities as a freelance video editor. Use the experience to improve your chances by demonstrating your skills and talents.
- Select the editing specialty about the specific type of video categories that you can work with. Whether you have a specialty in working for comedy TV, commercials, documentaries, news, and other broadcasts, make sure to mention it.
- Always keep a deadline, and communicate regularly with clients and employers to improve your skills. Ensuring an excellent reputation can be valuable.
- You can also create a portfolio website and showcase all the video editing jobs that you have completed so far. This will help your potential clients or recruiters to understand your capability.
Video Editing courses
As the video editing market is constantly rising, there are many institutions that are coming up with good video editing courses. These courses work with the only agenda of improving your skills and helping you to become a professional.
So all you need is to opt for the courses depending on the budget and the areas that the course will cover.
Places to find the video editing courses
While there is a range of places where you can find video editing courses, I will mention the top 10 courses provided by different companies. You can stay sure that the certificate you get from these institutions will be much more beneficial in your career.
- Coursera: mastering final cut pro
- Adobe: adobe premiere pro video editing
- Skillshare: Video editing with Adobe premiere pro for beginners
- Skillshare: Video editing with Final Cut Pro X
- Udemy: Adobe premiere pro cc masterclass
- Udemy: Video editing on android and iPhone
- LinkedIn Learning: DaVinci resolves fundamentals
- Fiverr learn: Video production essentials
- Masterclass: Making compelling videos to go viral
- CreativeLive: adobe after effects cc Quickstart
While these are online institutions, you can also get several other physical institutions offering video editing courses.
Important FAQs for Video Editors
Which professional software is used by the experts in this industry?
In the market, there are several video editing tools and software available. So, there is no specific answer, it depends on the tool that you would like to choose. However, if you are willing to become a part of the organization, you have to gain skills in working on the specific tone recommended by the Employer.
How stable is this job role?
In recent days, video has been the most common way of marketing. So, you can stay assured that the demand for video editors is here to stay. Irrespective of the field you choose, whether it is entertainment or advertising, or IT, working as a video editor will be extremely rewarding in terms of experience and salary.
So, this is everything that you need to know about video editing and everything about this job role. As the market is only about videos, businesses are looking for video editors for promotion and interaction with their viewers. Becoming a video editor will definitely be a rewarding choice and will help you to evolve in your career.
I hope I was able to provide you with every possible detail about this job role. This will help you to keep fair expectations and enjoy an improved career.